Sunday, February 19, 2012

NUTS - Night Under The Stars - A stargazing event by HCAstro

Preparation was relatively smooth, and I allocated everyone something to do. Our main platforms for publicity were the posters which were pasted on Monday (the event was on Wednesday), and the announcement on the bridge with a signup sheet.

NUTS on the 8th Feb was the day where I saw the visions I had became reality. It was a busy day and evening for all of us. I was pretty stressed up because I was tired and had to practice for piano. I had to admit that before that, I had my own reservations about the success of the event. What if nobody turned up? Etc. The morning was spent running around getting back all the signup sheets from all the C1 classes because Meiyin didn't give them a place to meet her and get them.

To my utter delight, more than 100 people signed up. Which was quite shocking. I was pleasantly pleased. Woah so many people. I wasnt expecting so much. The truth was, i wasn't expecting anything because i didn't wanna be disappointed. Idk why, but i always have the feeling that if NUTS screwed up, I'll be the person that will be the most responsible. (self-explanatory). Hmm then there were logistical problems (ie, LT@SRC could only fit 100 people but since >100 people signed up..)

CCA exhibition was fine, 38 people signed up. Quite awesome haha. I hope some of them at least are sincere bout joining astro. Anyway, the first half hour was quite hectic, trying to set up the booth to make it at least presentable and interesting. People came around, I entertained them all the way till 5 where we could keep our stuff.

Then came 6, dinnered and then at around 630 or so we started shifting the stuff to the LT@SRC. At 7, we were ready and that was when I was becoming a little afraid. Why wasn't anyone coming? I started getting a little anxious, although I didn't really show it. What's wrong? The minutes of anxiety passed and slowly but surely, large groups of people started coming in. However we had a serious time problem. People only started coming at 715... at 730, the LT was only bout half full. I decided to screen a documentary inpromtu. (sp?). Yepp. Apparently HC people love to be late (since i assume their with their good friends and having a blast to come on time... Actually, only 2 people came on the dot at 7. I was quite ./: and was too restless to stay in the LT. Anyway, eventually people started coming in.

I gave the talk bout the club at bout 735 or so. We moved out at 750 or so. It was a perfect nightsky. Not a single cloud in sight. I could only thank God. :) More and more people started coming anyway, and i have to admit that the turnout was freaking good. Apparently our marketing techniques worked. The entire field and track area was dotted with people. Initially, the internet was so slow and i felt that the speakers weren't good. Also, people weren't listening to the commentary about the nightsky we had planned for them because the microphone was too far from them and we have alrd set it to the max volume.

So we ended up with music mostly. People were queuing up at the telescopes to see stuff. It was a good night. You could see Jup, Venus earlier on, the freaking full and bright moon which was like woah, and all the constellations that can possibly be seen in Sg. All the OGs/ CTs/ whatever were sitted mostly in circles engaging in their own conversations. Some people lied down to look at the stars. I wanted to also, because to be honest, in my 1.5 years in astro, i have never seen such a beautiful nightsky in Singapore as of now. However, there will always be something cropping up every few minutes and I was running here and thr trying to get everything settled. It was only until 9 or so when things started to smoothen out.

Yep. We played songs including their batch dance song and the C1s started dancing with the dance ICs demostrating in front. Even saw denson lo coming LOL. Its like.. standing there at the terraces, looking across the field, the track, at the nearly 100 people sitting in circles enjoying themselves, and knowing that this whole thing was created in my head. This entire event was my idea, my hardwork, I planned mostly what was gonna happen, i visualised everything, and it was all coming true. And i had my EXCO to thank. With everyones hardwork, with everyone doing a little something they have been allocated to, I felt that NUTS was definitely a success. The feeling was pretty good. Standing there, seeing my dreams become reality.

At 930, I started asking the EXCO to pack up and had the last song of the night. People were getting high. Long after we packed up, they were still on the field bonding. (Y).
Going home, I was really glad I voiced out and changed my ideas into real, solid, concrete plans which resulted in this event. I felt that a stargazing event would be useful to persuade C1s to come into astro, and I did it, tgt with the EXCO.

Although most of the EXCO felt that it was a success and Dr Lim even applauded us, i realised that Jason didn't seem very happy bout the fact that the commentary was cancelled. I still comforted him anwyay. It was sort of a dampener, but also a much needed one to see exactly how a successful event will necessary equate to a higher intake of C1s.

In my opinion, I felt that the event was a 100% success. I went home tired, but feeling extremely satisfied. It was a memorable day for me and HCAstro. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment